The purpose of this collaborative group experience activity is to implement and reinforce the group communication policy that was outlined in your course syllabus and the learning styles/study skill activity you completed in weeks’ one and two.
Last, but not least, you will practice using group tools located under Courses & Groups/your group and practice basic communication skills.
Your group’s task is to create a contract which supports the group communication policy and group rubric, incorporates and supports your different learning styles, and identifies the roles each of you will facilitate within your group.
Also, you will identify consequences and actions that the group will follow if there is a break down in communication, participation, and workload amongst group members.For this activity you will interact with your group members and the instructor.
Process and Resources
- Reread and reflect upon the group communication policy in the course syllabus.
- Review the Group Rubrics below.
- Go to http://groups.physics.umn.edu/physed/Research/CGPS/roles.html and read and reflect on different group member roles.
- By mid-week, go to Discussions and have an initial discussion with your group members to begin conversation about how you will operationalize the communication policy, what the rubric means, and initial thoughts on team member roles.
- Group time management is very important; set guidelines.
- Conduct any additional research on effective team/group practices, roles, and contracts and consequences.
- Post your completed contract with rationale to the group discussion board by Sunday 10:00 pm. No late work will be accepted.
- In addition to the final contract document, each member is required to post an individual reflection of the process, your role, and learning style, and how you feel you will contribute to the group.
- I will be monitoring your group’s progress.
- For technology help, ask the members of your group for assistance first, and then try the FAQ discussion forum, perhaps another classmate can provide assistance. I will monitor the forum to see if I need to provide additional assistance.
- Feel free to email, call, or go to the Information Commons for help.
- The Help button is located at the top of the orange bar.
This collaborative activity is to be completed by Sunday at 10:00 pm; no late work is accepted so it is important that you communicate with one another early in the week.
This assignment is worth 50 points; I will use the group rubric as grading criteria.
Have fun getting to know your group members!
Complete the Group Contract Activity Evaluation; worth additional points.
This collaborative activity is designed to help you operationalize the group communication policy, identifying roles and learning styles of team members, and creating a team contract. Because we will work in groups throughout this semester it is important that everyone knows one another’s learning styles, group role, group grading rubric, and the consequences of not working effectively together in a collaborative environment. I will monitor the group forum to ensure we all stay on track.
This collaborative activity can be done in a face-to-face and/or an asynchronous environment. This activity fosters community and social connections, along with each group establishing group rules (contract) for effective collaboration. It also reinforces the importance of learning style, and the group policy as outlined within the syllabus. This collaborative activity is designed to be implemented during the second week of class.